Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Photo Bottlecap Magnets

My sister-in-law gave me this bag of plain bottle caps just in case I wanted to do something with them. That is the great thing about having a crafty type blog because people are always giving me stuff and saying, "I am sure you can do something with this". It challenges me to come up with ideas and I love that.

This is such a simple and quick idea and by now you all know that is how I roll, right?


I started off by searching for photos of my kids' faces. I made them into sepia tones so they would fit in well with the color of the bottle cap. I printed them off in 1 inch squares. I cut a cardstock circle the size of the bottle cap for a pattern. I placed the pattern on top of the picture and cut out the circle.

Next, I used my Mod Podge to adhere the picture to the bottle cap. I then brushed on a top coat to protect the photo.


Then I applied super glue to the back of a heavy duty circular magnet. I stuck it to the back of the bottle caps. That was it. Done. Super duper easy project.


Now these will make a super fun gift for someone who likes my kids! They are even better packaged in a fun and festive metal container like this...


{TIP: The top coat should simply be one light layer and all brush strokes in the same direction. I know that sounds so basic but just don't want you to get in a hurry like me and make the same mistake. Notice the bottle cap magnet on the left shows brush strokes like crazy. Oops.}

Any ol' bottle cap will do for this project and these would also be fun with a ribbon hanger attached to the back for use as a Christmas ornament!

I will be linking to these fun parties this week!

Thanks for stopping by Lemon Tree! See you next week!

Happy Tuesday!

26 comments:

TBonesMom December 7, 2010 at 8:48 AM  

I love this idea...now I need to get me some bottle caps!!! I think these would be good teacher gifts, grandparents, even co-workers with the right scrapbook paper. Even some with googly eyes glued on like "monsters" would be fun.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Sassy Sites! December 7, 2010 at 8:52 AM  

I LOVE this idea! I've done the bottle cap necklaces before, but I've never done them with pictures. I'm going to have to try this out! Thanks for sharing!

Beth @ Wiccan Make Some Too December 7, 2010 at 9:50 AM  

Super sweet idea!

Erin A December 7, 2010 at 10:01 AM  

These are just adorable! I love the little tin that they're in too!!

. December 7, 2010 at 12:32 PM  

Such a cute idea!! I love the presentation of these too. :)

Jane December 7, 2010 at 12:53 PM  

So neat! Other than drinking beer, is there someplace to get those bottle caps? :)

Alyssa December 7, 2010 at 12:57 PM  

Cute stuff Tiffany! You can also make other kinds of magnets with pictures found off the internet - Disney princesses, etc for the kids, or even just cool patterns using scrapbook paper.

You can also turn the bottle caps the other way for a different look - put the picture on the inside of the bottlecap so the edges scallop outward around it.

I use Envirotex Lite instead of Mod Podge on the ones I make for hairbows - I drop a few drops in the middle and let it flow out towards the edges, and I use a popsicle stick to spread it out a bit more if needed.

Alyssa December 7, 2010 at 12:57 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alyssa December 7, 2010 at 1:02 PM  

To the person above asking about where to get these - you can buy them from several craft suppliers online, or from Hobby Lobby (they are often 50% off at Hobby Lobby).

The Autocrat: Haley December 7, 2010 at 3:06 PM  

Love these! And the metal tin . . . too cute!

Unknown December 7, 2010 at 7:23 PM  

This is an adorable idea

Alli December 8, 2010 at 7:03 AM  

So cute! I know some grandmas who would love those.

Megan December 8, 2010 at 11:39 PM  

cute idea! featuring you in a post tomorrow on crazydomestic.com! feel free to grab our "I was featured" button!

Beth @ Free Stylin' December 9, 2010 at 8:59 AM  

I love this idea! I have some IBC rootbeer bottle caps just sitting there waiting for this exact project! Yay! Thanks!!

Melissa December 9, 2010 at 4:04 PM  

These are cute and definitely a easy quick Christmas gift to do! Thanks!

Judy Whatilivefor December 9, 2010 at 8:32 PM  

Perfect! After making bottle cap snowman ornaments, I've been trying to figure out what to use the rest of my bottle caps for...thanks :)

Meredith @ Welcome to Heardmont December 13, 2010 at 7:55 AM  

Great idea! I especially love the way you packaged them. Grandparents would love this gift! :)

Anonymous December 13, 2010 at 10:45 AM  

Thanks for sharing this great idea! Now I know what I can make for one of my last xmas gifts that I wasn't sure what I was going to make before. Thank you~

Jean December 13, 2010 at 1:09 PM  

I love these. I have been having my mom save bottle caps for me to make some necklaces, but now I am thinking these would be great to make instead, lol. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown December 13, 2010 at 5:24 PM  

Oh darn....now I have to go and buy myself some wine coolers so I can make these!!!!

5 dudes, a diva and total chaos December 13, 2010 at 8:32 PM  

Oh my goodness! I love these and I happen to have a huge bag of bottle caps!!

{Lucia} December 13, 2010 at 10:57 PM  

Brilliant! And just in time for my "I can't afford to buy gifts" Christmas! Thanks so much for sharing. I just started a link party on Wednesdays called Waking Wednesdays, and I'd love for you to share! ~ Megan from Wakinglucia.blogspot.com

Debbi Doodles December 28, 2010 at 3:19 PM  

This is a little after the fact, but "what if" for next year...Glue the bottle caps in a christmas tree shape and add pictures of all the grandkids, kids, dogs, etc. A magnet and ribbon hanger...great gift, ornament and fridge magnet all in one...feel free to steal!
Doodles

Erin @ Crafts and Sutch January 6, 2011 at 9:02 PM  

Hey Tiffany! I made a ton of these for Christmas and they were such a hit. :) I blogged about it here and gave you some link love: http://craftsandsutch.blogspot.com/2011/01/bottle-cap-magnets.html

I hope you'll pop by and take a peek! Thanks so much for sharing!

Erin

Beth July 17, 2012 at 1:28 PM  

I realize I missed the boat on this post, but I can't wait to make some! Just one question: did you print the photos on photo paper or regular paper? Thanks!

Tiffany July 18, 2012 at 8:07 AM  

Hi Beth. I just used regular paper to print the photos.
Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails