Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Birthday Countdown Frame

After I made my Christmas Countdown Frame that you saw in this post, I just knew that a Birthday Countdown Frame was a must!  We love birthdays around here.  Who doesn't, right?

  

And here is how the birthday countdown came to life.  First, I grabbed a 4x6 red frame from the stash...


And got right to work painting it.  This is my new favorite color.  I have been painting everything in this color.  I will share more in a future post.  I am totally in love.  It is DecoArt's All-Purpose Acrylic Paint in Spa Blue.  I don't know if it is because I am longing for summer but I just love the freshness of this color.  It makes me happy to look at.

I gave it two coats and then sanded it down on the edges after it dried.  I loved the red peeking through after the sanding.


One of my big sisters gave me these fabulous number flashcards from Pretty Little Studio.  Oh, how I love that shop!  I want one of everything.  Seriously.  There are 31 of these little cuties.  Perfect amount for a birthday countdown.  Wouldn't want to start counting too far ahead of time but one month is perfect.

Then I looked through my paper and found one of my very favorites to use as the background.  A fresh and fun plaid...


I used the frame glass as my guide to cut the paper to size.  I used a silver label holder that was attached with brads at either side for the bottom.  Then I glued a mini clothespin closer to the top to hold the cards...


I placed the extra number flashcards in an old jewelry bag and tied it to the frame hanger so they would be nice and handy for changing up on a daily basis...


I typed the word "birthday" and slid it into the label holder.  I pinned the #31 card in the clothespin and it was ready to go...


I LOVED the final result!  My oldest daughter will turn 5 at the end of March so we will put it to use very soon!  I can't wait!

My daughter will get number practice and she won't have to ask us how many days until her birthday over and over.  Score.


Everyone needs a birthday countdown, don't ya think?  You can find these number flashcards right here.  


I would love to see your spin on a countdown frame so please share on our Flickr page if you make one for your family!  


And wouldn't a Valentine's Day Countdown Frame be adorable made with these cuties???  


Make sure to come back tomorrow for a Pretty Little Studio GIVEAWAY!  


I'll be joining these parties this week!  


Happy Tuesday!  


22 comments:

Unknown February 8, 2011 at 7:03 AM  

So awesome, my kids would LOVE one of these!

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ February 8, 2011 at 7:16 AM  

So adorable and clever!

Dee

Jennifer February 8, 2011 at 10:20 AM  

Since I am new(er) to your blog I never saw your Christmas countdown, so I am SO glad you did a birthday one! I am definitely making both! And I visited Pretty Little Studio for the first time today - OH MY GOODNESS! Everything is darling! And so affordable! Thank you for this great post!

Carrie February 8, 2011 at 10:33 AM  

OMG... I love these flashcards! I am going to order them.. no idea what I'm going to do with them, though!

TBonesMom February 8, 2011 at 12:08 PM  

Awesome with a side of awesome! My daughter is 17 though, so mine might end up being a graduation countdown. :)

Love the idea and Pretty Little Studio...well, it goes without saying how cute their stuff is!!

Jean February 8, 2011 at 12:22 PM  

This is so cute!

Ellen February 8, 2011 at 3:57 PM  

It is so rare that i do this, but I just went immediately to the etsy store and bought a set of cards! Thank you so much for such a cute idea, I can't wait to make it - I have a baby on the way and my boy's birthday not long after so a cute countdown is definitely a must in our house!!

lemondropdreams February 8, 2011 at 4:48 PM  

I've seen the X-mas, never thought about a birthday countdown. Very fun! We love our birthday's too...even mommy

Susan @ FruitfulWords February 8, 2011 at 8:37 PM  

I soooo want one of these! I see a craft night coming soon to my house. Thanks so much for this very cute countdown!!

Melanie February 8, 2011 at 9:15 PM  

OH, how do I love thee? This is so cute! My daughter will be ONE in March, and if I thought she'd care, I'd make one this year - but I'll have to save it for next year! Sooo cute! Love the number cards - may have to buy those now!

Smiles,
Melanie

http://reasonstoskipthehousework.blogspot.com

Erin A February 9, 2011 at 7:49 AM  

Tiffany this is perfect!! I love the frame, perfect amount of distressing, perfect complimenting paper, love the Spa Blue color too! We'd love a birthday countdown around here. :)

And I am going crazy over those cards personalized with their names!!! Too too cute, great find!

Erin

Tori February 9, 2011 at 8:11 AM  

What an original idea! We love countdowns to really, anything, so this is sooo fun! Love it.

Unknown February 9, 2011 at 8:32 PM  

Yet another item for the must do list...

I picked you for an award! Come check it out at http://lifeuncontainable.blogspot.com/2011/02/its-major-award-stylish-blogger-awards.html

{oc cottage} February 10, 2011 at 8:31 AM  

Too darn cute!!!!

m ^..^

Patrice February 11, 2011 at 7:54 AM  

This idea is SO versatile! I LOVE the personalized flashcards too. I need those asap!

Tauni February 11, 2011 at 9:50 PM  

I love any kind of countdown and/or advent...this is darling!

I will have to make one before all of our birthdays roll around this spring!

Donna February 12, 2011 at 8:36 AM  

What a fun and creative idea! I love spa blue, too, and have painted quite a few things with it! And I also love the addition of the clothsepin and birthday embellishments!!

TidyMom February 13, 2011 at 8:39 AM  

Genius!! I LOVE this idea!!

Thanks for linking up! I featured you on my wrap up post!! http://tidymom.net/2011/im-lovin-it-wrap-up-21311/

Heather February 18, 2011 at 1:59 AM  

What an adorable countdown. Those cards are too cute for words! This would be perfect for so many things like holidays, birthdays and because I am a military wife when Daddy get backs countdowns. Thank you so much for sharing!!

Jami February 18, 2011 at 9:01 AM  

I just fell in love! This TOO CUTE! Thanks for sharing!!!

jenclair February 18, 2011 at 10:21 AM  

Oh, the web inspirations I discover! LOVE it!

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny March 9, 2011 at 1:59 PM  

This is so super adorable that I had to make my own!

http://www.gwennypenny.com/2011/03/birthday-countdown-frame.html

Added it to your Flickr pool, too. Thanks for the great tutorial!

Related Posts with Thumbnails