Monday, April 18, 2011

Damask Stenciled Nursery Walls

You already know how I'm a huge fan of Cutting Edge Stencils and their incredible product, and I have a major love for damask print. So upon discovering that we would be converting my office into a nursery for a little lady, I immediately hopped on over to Cutting Edge's site to finalize my choice for a damask print for her walls.

(Here's a peek - the view from the crib! :)

Nursery 11

I was surprised (and thrilled) to discover that several more damask options had just been added in the past few months!! Now I had even more choices in my quest for beautiful walls, and it didn't take me long to settle on this LOVELY Damask Kerry stencil. (I also found out that the new stencils are named after each of the girls who work at Cutting Edge, isn't that sweet? :)

Damask stencil 5

I have lots of pretty and bright colored fabric that I want to use in the nursery, so I decided to go with a cool soothing gray as a more neutral background. I chose Gray Clouds from Sherwin Williams, and enlisted my lovely mother to help transform the room from Office Orange to Nursery Neutral.

Before, with paint samples.

April2 30

After. Ahhhhhh.

Stencil 18

Then came the fun paint. I used this line of Designer Series All-Purpose Home Decor Acrylic Paint from DecoArt, in White, Daffodil Yellow, and Spa Blue, along with their acrylic paint in Desert Turquoise. I just LOVED them!! Let me tell you, these went on perfectly!! The paint was thick enough that it only took 2 coats to get the coverage that I wanted - even when going to a lighter color!! It had practically no fumes so was perfect for an indoor painting project, particularly by a pregnant lady. It also dried really quickly, so I was able to work my way around the room pretty fast. What more could you want in a paint? Particularly when it comes in such beautiful colors as these!

Paint 1

I also got to use this fabulous clip on stencil level, which you can also purchase through Cutting Edge Stencil's site. You just clip it to the top of your stencil and it ensures that the pattern is level. This was such a huge time and headache saver!! I would constantly have been stepping back from the wall, arms crossed, trying to figure out if any of the damasks were crooked. I am too much of a perfectionist to not be driven crazy by an uneven design and I'm glad this kept me from having to endure that!! :)

Stencil 5Stencil 6

Since the damask design has so many tiny and intricate details, I decided to use a tacky stencil adhesive to ensure that it laid flat on the wall and stayed in the exact same spot as I painted.

Stencil 14

(A note about stencil adhesive: The fumes are kind of strong, so spray your stencil outside or in another room before sticking it to the wall. If you spray it indoors you'll want to do so over some sort of drop cloth, because if it gets on your carpet it feels so nasty!!)

Stencil 99

I poured my paint into a "paint tray," had an extra paint tray with paper towels on it to roll of the excess paint, and got to work.

Stencil 7

Then I did it again...

Stencil 15

and again...

Nursery 2

You get the idea.

Nursery 4

I loved this project because I could do it a little at a time over a course of a few days. The damask pattern is relatively small, so I would paint one or two when I had the chance, and then store the stencil until the next time that an opportunity arose.

Stencil 1

I didn't want a full pattern on the wall, just little pops of color and a pretty design here and there.

Nursery 25

I tried to make it completely random, but in the end I could not fight my need for symmetry. I might have been able to pull it off if there wasn't a window in the center of the wall, but all that I could think was that I needed the sides to be mirror images of one another. I did mix up the colors a little bit though, which I thought was something.

Nursery 20

I just love it!! Every time that I go upstairs for any reason, I stop in the room, glance around and smile. I'm sure that is partially to do with it being a nursery, but still, it is pretty sweet looking isn't it?!

Nursery 12

I kept my stenciling on the feature wall until I get the rest of the decorations settled and put up. But it was so easy with such a sweet impact that I wouldn't be surprised if I sprinkled a few more around the room before it's finished. I can't wait to show you the rest of the details!

Nursery 7

Would you like to try out one of Cutting Edge Stencil's new designs? Stop back by on Wednesday because we'll be giving one away for free!! Yay!!

Happy Monday!!

E1025F317CFB5B8E9E5C526E5CC0F475 copy

32 comments:

~Nikki Pullen April 18, 2011 at 7:11 AM  

I love it!!!

KTbee April 18, 2011 at 7:27 AM  

oh i love those colors! very pretty on the gray

KTbee April 18, 2011 at 7:28 AM  

...lol and btw i get the need for symmetry. i'm the same way. i'm teaching myself to do things randomly and LEAVE it. it's a slow process, but i'm working on it haha!

Tiffany April 18, 2011 at 7:45 AM  

Looks gorgeous. Love the colors! I can't stop using that spa blue color on everything! : )

The stencil you chose is perfect and adds such a special touch to the nursery. I love it.

Tiffany April 18, 2011 at 7:45 AM  

Looks gorgeous. Love the colors! I can't stop using that spa blue color on everything! : )

The stencil you chose is perfect and adds such a special touch to the nursery. I love it.

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ April 18, 2011 at 8:44 AM  

I love the damask on the nursery walls. So very pretty and fresh looking for a child’s room.

I used black and white damask for my bedroom.

Dee

Brandy J. April 18, 2011 at 9:45 AM  

This looks incredible! You have one lucky kiddo. :)

Ruth H. April 18, 2011 at 10:02 AM  

Wow! That looks so cool! I love the colors that you chose. It looks like a lot of work, but it definitely adds punch to the room.

Jessa Smith April 18, 2011 at 10:15 AM  

This turned out amazing! What a cool idea!

~Jessa
www.jessajill.blogspot.com

Alison April 18, 2011 at 11:19 AM  

It looks so good! I love it too. :)

Stephanie R. April 18, 2011 at 12:16 PM  

reallly pretty. I love the colors!

TLF April 18, 2011 at 4:45 PM  

I love it!!

Ali Richardson April 18, 2011 at 5:22 PM  

This is so beautiful, I really love it!!!

Amanda G April 18, 2011 at 7:26 PM  

I absolutely love the look of the colour combination! Gorgeous.

Jana April 18, 2011 at 9:40 PM  

Absolutely love this! Thanks for linking up at Giggles, Glitz & Glam. Hope you were able to enter some of the 28 giveaways on my blog as well.

Jayna Rae April 18, 2011 at 9:44 PM  

So beautiful. I love the colors.

Kassey April 18, 2011 at 10:42 PM  

I love this!! I would love to do this in my house!! so cute!

The Sewist April 19, 2011 at 8:32 AM  

Love, LOVE, LOVE LOVE IT...the colour are perfection they go so well with the grey..and damask print my fav its just so pretty...

This nursery is going to be something else i tell you..cant wait to see the finished room!

The Lovelys April 19, 2011 at 10:20 AM  

Ooh, I have been wondering where to get a damask stencil. Lovely!

E Elliott April 19, 2011 at 10:55 AM  

So simple and elegant. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown April 19, 2011 at 11:34 AM  

that is a really unique nursery!

I am having a giveaway on my blog. $40 store credit from Urban Walls to get any decal of your choice. They have amazing decals for every room! just leave me a comment telling me which is your fav decal to win.
http://houseonashwelllane.blogspot.com/2011/04/40-store-credit-from-urban-walls-to-get.html

Krista April 20, 2011 at 7:05 AM  

Very cute! I also just converted an office into a nursery. It's fun, isn't it? Anyway, great job, love the grey with the pops of color!

silly eagle books April 20, 2011 at 7:06 AM  

wow. this looks great. :)

Tammy @ Type A April 20, 2011 at 8:51 PM  

love it! looks great. the colors are perfect. i have a party going on right now, would love if you shared this. http://typeadecorating.blogspot.com/2011/04/anything-goes-party-13.html

Tanya April 21, 2011 at 9:15 PM  

This turned out so cute...I just love it!!!! Great job =)

The Starr Family April 21, 2011 at 9:18 PM  

Just gorgeous. Hands down one of the best ideas I've seen in a long time (and certainly something fresh compared to the yawn-inducing stencils out there). So good.

Jacqueline April 22, 2011 at 8:26 AM  

Thanks for sharing this at my link party! It looks fantastic!

Marci April 22, 2011 at 8:27 AM  

I love the colors you put together for this project. It looks amazing.

Jenny April 22, 2011 at 9:37 AM  

I heart damask too, and love it as a stencil. Well done - perfect punches of color in a classic way. I finally jumped on the stencil bandwagon myself and just did a stencil in our half bath. Love. it.

aggieam01 April 22, 2011 at 11:38 AM  

This is so beautiful. The colors are absolutely perfect. You did a great job!

Rose @ Walnut Acre April 22, 2011 at 9:57 PM  

So pretty!

Amanda April 25, 2011 at 9:12 AM  

LOVE this!! what a great color combo! My sister just used the exact stencil in her laundry room! (I may now have to borrow hers!!)

Great job!

Related Posts with Thumbnails